Re: BUG #6050: Dump and restore of view after a schema change: can't restore the view - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: BUG #6050: Dump and restore of view after a schema change: can't restore the view
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Jun 3, 2011 4:20 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > [ view definition now fails due to multiple "id_a" columns ]
>
> I'm inclined to write this off as "so don't do that".  There's nothing
> that pg_dump can do to make this work: it has to use the USING syntax
> for the join, and that doesn't offer any way to qualify the column name
> on just one side.

There's nothing stopping us from adding a nonstandard syntax to cover
precisely the information needed to resolve this case when dumping.

For example we could support USING (a.a=b.a) or ON (a.a=b.a as a)

We could use it only in this case where there's ambiguity too so it wouldn't
clutter people's dumps.

That said it isn't very appetizing a change to backport so it doesn't do
much for the OP ...