Re: Memcached for Database server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From satoshi.nagayasu@gmail.com
Subject Re: Memcached for Database server
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

2011/5/18 Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>:
>> How do you handle statements that rely on current_timestamp, random(),
>> etc? What about if their reliance is via a function? Is that just an
>> understood limitation of the cache, that it'll cache even queries that
>> don't really make sense to cache?
>
> Probably we should cache the result of a query which containts no
> functions or a query which only contains immutable functions.

From my point of view, that's the trade off things.

I think database doesn't need to handle all situations and conditions.
In other words, "One size does not fit all."

Honestly, I'm not interested in building a complex and huge tool.
I love "Keep it simple, stupid" discipline. So, I just created a tiny tool,
which would be useful in many situations, not *all* situations.

In pqc, a programmer is still able to handle life cycle of the cache
with using hints. I think it's enough to solve many performance issues.
That's what I wanted to pqc.

Of course, if rich customers want me to invest *more integrated*
query cache for PostgreSQL, I will welcome them. :)

Regards,
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi.nagayasu@gmail.com>