BINARY and BINARY VARYING datatypes in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Grzegorz Szpetkowski
Subject BINARY and BINARY VARYING datatypes in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
I know that BIT and BIT VARYING types were deleted from SQL:2003 and
there are "old new" BINARY, BINARY VARYING in SQL:2008. I have two
question:

1) Are these types technically the same (I mean implementation things) ?
2) Is PostgreSQL aim to support BINARY, BINARY VARYING in 9.1 and
leave BIT and BIT VARYING for backward compability (for example as
aliases) ?

"PostgreSQL supports most of the major features of SQL:2008. Out of
179 mandatory features required for full Core conformance, PostgreSQL
conforms to at least 160. In addition, there is a long list of
supported optional features. It might be worth noting that at the time
of writing, no current version of any database management system
claims full conformance to Core SQL:2008."

from: http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/features.html

Regards,
Grzegorz Szpetkowski