Re: "stored procedures" - use cases? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 05/09/2011 08:20 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> No, but what you *would* need is the ability to return multiple result
>>> sets from one call.  Even then, you could not exactly duplicate the
>>> current output of \d; but you could duplicate the functionality.
>>
>> Oh, good point.  Thanks.
>
> Multiple resultsets in one call would be a good thing, though, no?
>
> cheers

I *thought* the purpose of having stored procedures was to allow a
substrate supporting running multiple transactions, so it could do
things like:
- Managing vacuums
- Managing transactions
- Replacing some of the need for dblink.
- Being an in-DB piece that could manage LISTENs

It seems to be getting "bikeshedded" into something with more
"functional argument functionality" than stored functions.

I think we could have a perfectly successful implementation of "stored
procedures" that supports ZERO ability to pass arguments in or out.
That's quite likely to represent a good start.