Problem with sorting on PostgreSQL 9.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean Pereira
Subject Problem with sorting on PostgreSQL 9.0.3
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having a problem with the sort of names with accents
In the version of postgres 8.4.3, I run the following command:

SELECT name FROM person ORDER BY name

And I have the following result:

name

Abel Clara Valentin

Abel Felipe Mundel

Abel Lopes de Amorin

Abel Rodriguez

Eric Alves de Lima

Erico Borinelli

Eric Brizola

Eric Correa

Eric Eichenberger

Erico Eichstadt

Zulmira Fatima Ribeiro Albrecht

Zulma Siewe

Zulmira Dutra da Rocha
(26,445 rows)

The bank orders usually, he puts his name with an accent in the right order, or
That is, he does not think the accent to order, from what I saw.

In the PG version 9.0.3
I run the same command and got the following result:

name

Abel Clara Valentin

Abel Felipe Mundel

Abel Lopes de Amorin

Abel Rodriguez

Eric Alves de Lima

Erico Borinelli

Eric Correa

Eric Eichenberger

Erico Eichstadt

Erico Eischstaedt

Zulma Siewe

Zulmira Fatima Ribeiro Albrecht

Zulmira Dutra da Rocha

<C3> <89> Rich Brizola
(26,445 rows)

The "<C3> <89> Brizola rich" equals "Eric Brizola" the outcome of PG 8.4.3.

If someone can help me I appreciate it.

Hug.