Re: Disconnects hanging server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A.M.
Subject Re: Disconnects hanging server
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 3, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Brian Wipf wrote:

> We have a dual 3.0 GHz Intel Dual-core Xserve, running Mac OS X
> 10.5.1 Leopard Server and PostgreSQL 8.2.5. When we disconnect
> several clients at a time (30+) in production, the CPU goes through
> the roof and the server will hang for many seconds where it is
> completely non-responsive. It seems the busier the server is, the
> longer the machine will hang.

You should run Shark or Instruments to determine where the system is
getting hung up. You will likely need to install developer tools. If
you need help reading the profilers' output, please join up on an
Apple list.

In my profiling of PostgreSQL under 10.4 with PostgreSQL 8.1, I found
disappointing results with bottlenecks in the mutex-locked stdio. I
suspect that the results in 10.5 may be drastically different.

Cheers,