Stroring html form settings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dianne Yumul
Subject Stroring html form settings
Date
Re: Stroring html form settings  (Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com>)
Re: Stroring html form settings  (Marcus Engene <mengpg2@engene.se>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have some html forms that I save the settings into the database,
things like which item was selected in the menu and if a checkbox was
checked. The table looks like this:

  user_id | report_id |                      info
---------+-----------+------------------------------------------------
      111 |         1 | A:::::CHECKED::::CHECKED::::CHECKED::
      111 |         2 | A:::CHECKED::
      111 |         3 | A::CHECKED:CHECKED::CHECKED::::CHECKED:::

The info column has the settings separated with a : and consecutive
colons mean the user didn't make a selection. Would this be the way
to store them?

I've done some searching and I could use XML (I will read some
tutorials after writing this email). But there may be other ways and
I'm just too much of a newbie to know. I'm using Postgresql 8.1.11
and PHP on CentOS 5.2.

Thanks in advance.

Dianne