Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Move PinBuffer and UnpinBuffer to atomics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On November 6, 2015 9:31:37 PM GMT+01:00, Jesper Pedersen <jesper.pedersen@redhat.com> wrote:
>I have been testing this on a smaller system than yours - 2 socket
>Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2683 v3 w/ 2 x RAID10 SSD disks (data + xlog),
>so focused on a smaller number of clients.

Thanks for running tests!

>While I saw an improvement for the 'synchronous_commit = on' case -
>there is a small regression for 'off', using -M prepared + Unix Domain
>Socket. If that is something that should be considered right now.

What tests where you running, in which order? I presume it's a read/write pgbench? What scale, shared buffers?

I right now can't see any reason sc on/off should be relevant for the patch. Could it be an artifact of the order you
rantests in?

Did you initdb between tests? Pgbench -i? Restart the database?

Andres

---
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.