Search across multiple sources - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merrall, Graeme
Subject Search across multiple sources
Date
Re: Search across multiple sources  (Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de>)
List pgsql-general
I don't think there's an easy way to do this but I thought I better ask just in case.  I'm trying to come up with a way
tosearch across a number of databases without resorting to lots of horrible scripts. In one database I have a lot of
newsstories from our news provider while in another database I have a lot of user entered content. Ideally I'd like to
searchacross both databases via a single web-based search form.

The obvious way is to create a tsearch index/table in both databases and then to connect to each one in turn and to
mergethe results together but that doesn't seem like the best solution and potentially there could be issues with
rankingand so on.

Is it possible to create a single search database which can store search data from a number of different databases.
Thisis all on the same server of course.

Another option I looked at was to use an external search tool lke mnogosearch
(http://www.mnogosearch.ru/doc/msearch-extended-indexing.html#htdb)although since I've used tsearch elsewhere it would
benice to use it here as well.

Cheers,
 Graeme