Re: Possible request for new feature - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Campbell, Lance
Subject Re: Possible request for new feature
Date
List pgsql-admin
Tom,
Thanks so much.  That was very useful.  It is more useful than my suggested enhancement.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
217-333-0382

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 9:40 AM
To: Campbell, Lance
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Possible request for new feature

"Campbell, Lance" <lance@illinois.edu> writes:
> I develop web application for the University of Illinois.  We use PostgreSQL on the backend to provide our web
applicationwith data for around 3 million pages of dynamic web content per month.  A nice feature would be the ability
todo something just like EXPLAIN ANALYZE on queries with the slight difference of actually returning the results from
thequery and appending the QUERY PLAN to the end of the query.

Such a behavior would break just about every client application.  Have you looked into using the auto_explain module,
whichinstead logs query plans to the postmaster log?  That's a far less invasive way of collecting plans for queries of
liveapplications.  pg_stat_statements would be worth a look too.

            regards, tom lane