Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bayless Kirtley
Subject Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?
Date
List pgsql-general

> Paul Taylor, 04.08.2009 15:48:
>> Thats a shame, I wanted to write junit test for a java program that
>> queried a database, requiring a full database to be available for unit
>> tests is not really an environment I want to have.
>
> Well if you want to test the database, you will need a full database.
>
> But you can easily setup and start a Postgres server through a batch
> file/shell script. I have a small batch file that simply uses the binary
> ZIP distribution to run initdb and create the initial databases. We are
> using this to bundle Postgres e.g. with a Tomcat web application.
> You don't really need to run an installer and/or create registry entries
> (for windows). This would then resemble more the Derby network server
> setup.
>
> Thomas

Of course you can always use Derby for testing the Postgres later. I have
found HSQLDB to be closer to Postgres than Derby is. I do seem to recall the
Netbeans group recommends using sever mode during development then switch to
imbedded for distribution. I have done it both ways with equal success and
similar efforts.

Bayless