Re: Problem with ALTER TYPE, Indexes and cast - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Mamin
Subject Re: Problem with ALTER TYPE, Indexes and cast
Date
List pgsql-general

I had to dig a bit to find out why I was using the cast.
My issue is that I first clean the literal at some places with text returning functions.
The index won't get used when comparing to text:

    create temp table idtest (c character(8));
    insert into idtest select cast(s as character(8)) from generate_series(1,39999)s;
    create index idtest_c on idtest(c);
    analyze  idtest;

    explain analyze select * from idtest where c = substring (trim('1234567890abc') for 8)

    Seq Scan on idtest  (cost=0.00..816.99 rows=200 width=9) (actual time=20.302..20.302 rows=0 loops=1)
      Filter: ((c)::text = '12345678'::text)

I can easily get rid of the cast while preprocessing the literal before injecting it in the query though.

regards,
Marc Mamin