Re: Patch for collation using ICU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Palle Girgensohn
Subject Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On lördag, maj 07, 2005 22.53.46 +1000 John Hansen <john@geeknet.com.au>
wrote:

> Errm,... initdb --encoding UNICODE --locale C

You mean that ICU *shall* be used even for the C locale, and not as Bruce
suggested here:

>> I do have a few questions:
>>
>> Why don't you use the lc_ctype_is_c() part of this test?
>>
>>      if (pg_database_encoding_max_length() > 1 && !lc_ctype_is_c())
>
> Um, well, I didn't think about that. :)  What would be the locale in this
> case? c_C.UTF-8? ;)  Hmm, it is possible to have CTYPE=C and use a wide
> encoding, indeed. Then the strings will be handled like byte-wide chars.
> Yeah, it's a bug. I'll fix it! Thanks.

John disagrees here, and I'm obliged to agree. Using the C locale, one will
expect C collation, but upper/lower is better off still using ICU. Hence,
the above stuff is *not* a bug. Do we agree?

/Palle