Re: Some Performance Advice Needed

From: Jeff
Subject: Re: Some Performance Advice Needed
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Some Performance Advice Needed  (Alex, )
 Re: Some Performance Advice Needed  (Jeff, )
  Re: Some Performance Advice Needed  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Some Performance Advice Needed  (William Yu, )
   Re: Some Performance Advice Needed  (Jeff, )
 Re: Some Performance Advice Needed  (William Yu, )
 Re: Some Performance Advice Needed  (Randolf Richardson, )

On Dec 23, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> IDE disks lie about write completion (This can be disabled on some
>> drives) whereas SCSI drives wait for the data to actually be written
>> before they report success.  It is quite
>> easy to corrupt a PG (Or most any db really) on an IDE drive.  Check
>> the archives for more info.
>
> Do we have any real info on this? Specifically which drives? Is SATA
> the same way? What about SATA-II?
> I am not saying it isn't true (I know it is) but this is a blanket
> statement that may or may not be
> true with newer tech.

Scott Marlowe did some tests a while ago on it.  They are likely in the
archives.
Maybe we can get him to pipe up :)

--
Jeff Trout <>