Re: Some Performance Advice Needed - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Some Performance Advice Needed
Date
Re: Some Performance Advice Needed
List pgsql-performance
Jeff wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2004, at 9:27 AM, Alex wrote:
>

>> Running hdparm reported
>> A) 920mb/s   (SCSI 10k)
>> B) 270mb/s   (SCSI 10k)
>> C) 1750mb/s  (IDE  7.2k)
>

> IDE disks lie about write completion (This can be disabled on some
> drives) whereas SCSI drives wait for the data to actually be written
> before they report success.  It is quite
> easy to corrupt a PG (Or most any db really) on an IDE drive.  Check
> the archives for more info.

Do we have any real info on this? Specifically which drives? Is SATA the
same way? What about SATA-II?
I am not saying it isn't true (I know it is) but this is a blanket
statement that may or may not be
true with newer tech.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake