Re: Howto Increased performace ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Iain
Subject Re: Howto Increased performace ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

These are some settings that I am planning to start with for a 4GB RAM dual
opteron system with a maximum of 100 connections:

shared_buffers 8192 (=67MB RAM)
sort_mem 4096 (=400MB RAM for 100 connections)
effective_cache_size 380000(@8KB  =3.04GB RAM)
vacuum_mem 32768 KB
wal_buffers 64
checkpoint_segments 8

In theory, effective cache size is the amount of memory left over for the OS
to cache the filesystem after running all programs and having 100 users
connected, plus a little slack.

regards
Iain