Re: Analyzing the types of prepared statements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: Analyzing the types of prepared statements
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 16, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, it is not clear to me at this juncture how to get the
> return type for a statement, given its text. Preparing and
> looking it up in pg_prepared_statements will retrieve the
> argument types but not the return type. Wrapping the query in a
> SQL stored procedure which returns record doesn't cause the
> server to infer and store a more specific type.

You might want to take a look at the extended query protocol here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/protocol-flow.html

If you send a "parse" (P) messaged followed by "describe" (D), you can get a row description for the return type
withoutexecuting anything.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.