[pg 7.4 / Solaris 8] Could not bind socket for statistics collector - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mounir Benzid
Subject [pg 7.4 / Solaris 8] Could not bind socket for statistics collector
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi I’m new to this list so say a quick “hello @all!“

Ok my question:

I did compile the official 7.4 sources for the solaris 8 platform and compilation went right.

The problem occured after I started the postmaster process and
copied some data into the database using the COPY command:

waiting for postmaster to shut down...LOG:  received smart shutdown

request

.LOG:  shutting down

..LOG:  database system is shut down

done

postmaster successfully shut down

LOG:  could not bind socket for statistics collector: Cannot assign

requested address

LOG:  database system was shut down at 2003-11-26 14:13:05 MET

LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/B54CB8

LOG:  redo record is at 0/B54CB8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

LOG:  next transaction ID: 546; next OID: 27748

LOG:  database system is ready

I read somewhere else that the solution is to

uncomment the ::1 entry in /etc/inet/ipnodes (::1 ó ipv6 alias to localhost).

I just did so, and it finally worked out.

But why and by what means??? What does it mean to uncomment
the localhost entry for ipv6 in /etc/inet/ipnodes ?

Shoudn’t  the database run without having to modify system’s internal properties?

Regards

Mounir