14.4 If You Are Upgrading - Suggested Improvements - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject 14.4 If You Are Upgrading - Suggested Improvements
Date
Re: 14.4 If You Are Upgrading - Suggested Improvements  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-docs
I've done a number of upgrades of postgres from one minor release to another, and unless I'm missing something, there's nothing anywhere in section 14 that provides documentation on how to do this.

Generally, it's as simple as:

configure
make
make install
pg_ctl stop [or equivalent, if stop scripts exist]
pg_ctl start -D <data directory> [or equivalent, if start scripts exist]

But it seems like it would be helpful for administrators to break down 14.4 into two sections:

14.4.1 - If You Are Upgrading a Minor Release
14.4.2 - If You Are Upgrading a Major Release (or a Release Requiring an initdb)

Just a suggestion. If this strikes others as a good idea, I'd be happy to draft something.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

615-260-0005