update more than 1 table (mysql to postgres) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From treeml
Subject update more than 1 table (mysql to postgres)
Date
List pgsql-sql
I am migrating from MySQL to Postagres. I have problem with postgres
updating 2 tables with one statement.

In MySQL I can update 2 tables (parent, child) with a statement like this

UPDATE parent LEFT JOIN child ON parent.pid = child.foreign_key SET
parent.field1 = 'company',
child.field2 = 'john'WHERE child.pid = 7

Or I can also do
UPDATE parent, child SET parent.field1 = 'company', child.field2 = 'john'
WHERE
parent.pid = child.foreign_key
AND child.pid = 7

But I couldn't do that in Postgres,
Only one table is allowed in an update statement. I tried to create a view,
and updating the view,  but that was not allowed.   I could do 2 SQL
updates, but I am sure there is a better way to do this.  Anyone have any
idea. Appreciated.

Tree