Re: SQL-standard function bodies and creating SECURITY DEFINER routines securely - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Erki Eessaar
Subject Re: SQL-standard function bodies and creating SECURITY DEFINER routines securely
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hello

I confirmed, that setting search_path is indeed sometimes needed in case of SECURITY DEFINER routines that have SQL-standard bodies. See an example at the end of the letter.

I suggest the following paragraph to the documentation:

Starting from PostgreSQL 14 SQL-standard bodies can be used in SQL-language functions. This form tracks dependencies between the function and objects used in the function body. However, there is still a possibility that such function calls other code that reacts to search path. Thus, as a best practice, SECURITY DEFINER functions with SQL-standard bodies should also override search_path.

Best regards
Erki Eessaar

*************************
/*Table in the schema public.*/
CREATE TABLE public.A(a INTEGER PRIMARY KEY);

/*Table in the schema pg_temp.*/
CREATE TABLE pg_temp.A(a INTEGER PRIMARY KEY);

/*SECURITY DEFINER function without SQL-standard function body.*/
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION f1 () RETURNS VOID
AS $$
INSERT INTO A(a) VALUES (1);
$$ LANGUAGE sql SECURITY DEFINER;

/*SECURITY DEFINER function with SQL-standard function body that invokes
the function without SQL-standard function body. It does not explicitly set the search path.*/
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION f2 () RETURNS VOID
LANGUAGE sql SECURITY DEFINER
BEGIN ATOMIC
SELECT f1();
END;

/*SECURITY DEFINER function with SQL-standard function body that invokes
the function without SQL-standard function body. It does explicitly set the search path.*/
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION f2_secure () RETURNS VOID
LANGUAGE sql SECURITY DEFINER
SET search_path = public, pg_temp
BEGIN ATOMIC
SELECT f1();
END;

SELECT f2();

SELECT * FROM public.A;
/*Result 0 rows.*/

SELECT * FROM pg_temp.A;
/*Result 1 row.*/

DELETE FROM pg_temp.A;

SELECT f2_secure();

SELECT * FROM public.A;
/*Result 1 row. SET search_path in the invoking function had an effect to the invoked function*/

SELECT * FROM pg_temp.A;
/*Result 0 rows.*/