Re: SQL-standard function bodies and creating SECURITY DEFINER routines securely - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Erki Eessaar
Subject Re: SQL-standard function bodies and creating SECURITY DEFINER routines securely
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hello

Another example where explicit search path is needed.

CREATE TABLE public.B(b INTEGER);
CREATE TABLE pg_temp.B(b INTEGER);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION f3 () RETURNS VOID
LANGUAGE sql SECURITY DEFINER
BEGIN ATOMIC
INSERT INTO B(b) VALUES (1);
END;

SELECT f3();

SELECT * FROM public.B;
/*Result has 0 rows.*/

SELECT * FROM pg_temp.B;
/*Result has 1 row. Function f3 was associated with pg_temp.B because
f3() did not have explicitly set search path.*/

I see now that there are multiple reasons why to still use search path. I agree now that this extra paragaraph is perhaps too confusing and is not needed.

Best regards
Erki Eessaar