RE: Please add best practice concerning user accounts - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bram Mertens
Subject RE: Please add best practice concerning user accounts
Date
List pgsql-docs

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I understand this is referring to the operating system user. But my understanding is that by default this user is *also* the superuser account of the database.

I’ve come across some quick-and-dirty setups where this operating system user was being used to manage the DB. And even worse used as the application user.

I’ve been unable to find any documentation that explains this is a bad idea.

Nor have I found any recommendation that in addition to this superuser account one or more accounts (roles) need to be created for management and use by clients/applications.

FYI the reason I was looking at this is that currently I’m struggling to set up an account and pg_hba configuration (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/auth-pg-hba-conf.html) that allows me to connect from a remote client.

Regards

Bram