Re: Measuring the Query Optimizer Effect: Turning off the QO? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Mercha
Subject Re: Measuring the Query Optimizer Effect: Turning off the QO?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/07/2019 02:04, Rob Sargent wrote:

> [...]
tweaks,but right now I

---------------------------------+---------+------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>   force_parallel_mode             | off     |      | Forces use of parallel query facilities.
>>>   max_parallel_workers            | 16      |      | Sets the maximum number of parallel workers that can be active
atone time.

>>>   max_parallel_workers_per_gather | 8       |      | Sets the maximum number of parallel processes per executor
node.
>>>   min_parallel_index_scan_size    | 64      | 8kB  | Sets the minimum amount of index data for a parallel scan.
>>>   min_parallel_table_scan_size    | 1024    | 8kB  | Sets the minimum amount of table data for a parallel scan.
>>>   parallel_setup_cost             | 1000    |      | Sets the planner's estimate of the cost of starting up worker
processesfor parallel query.

>>>   parallel_tuple_cost             | 0.1     |      | Sets the planner's estimate of the cost of passing each tuple
(row)from worker to master backend.

>>>   ssl_dh_params_file              |         |      | Location of the SSL DH parameters file.
>>> (8 rows)
>>>
>> Well not the last one of course.
>
> Better yet, “where category ~* ‘planner’"

Hi

Yes, I've taken a look. I'm just interested in turning off the whole
module and there is no parameter to do just that - an on and off switch
- from what I can understand. What I can do instead is to go over the
entire list of parameters and configure them each to generate a bad
plan, but I'm not sure in general how to make a configuration which
gives me the worst plan possible under all situations.

I was hoping that someone has the on/off switch I'm looking for or a
parameter template which has been used for the same purpose or something
along these lines...

This document describes the module I'm talking about:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/planner-optimizer.html