Re: Measuring the Query Optimizer Effect: Turning off the QO? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Mercha
Subject Re: Measuring the Query Optimizer Effect: Turning off the QO?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/07/2019 16:23, Andrew Gierth wrote:

>   Tom> Hi All
>
>   Tom> As we know, a query goes through number of stages before it is
>   Tom> executed. One of these stages is query optimization (QO).
>
> That's not really true at all. One of the stages is query _planning_,
> which takes the (rewritten) query as input and converts it to something
> that the executor can take action on. There isn't actually any separate
> "optimization" phase.

Hi

I was just loosely speaking - I am merely referring to the concept that
a query can be optimized vs unoptimized. Of course it follows that we
have a phase or a subset of stages which are responsible for this purpose.