Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Piotr Stefaniak
Subject Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres
Date
Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-08-16 18:33, Robert Haas wrote:
> It wouldn't be that much work to maintain, either: we'd
> just set up some buildfarm members that compiled using C++ and when
> they turned red, we'd go fix it.

I think that there exist subtle differences between C and C++ that
without compile-time diagnostic could potentially lead to different
run-time behavior. As an artificial example:

$ cat ./test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {FILE *f = fopen("test.bin", "w");if (f == NULL)    return 1;fwrite("1", sizeof '1', 1,
f);fclose(f);return0;

}
$ clang ./test.c -o test
$ ./test
$ hexdump test.bin
0000000 0031 0000
0000004
$ clang++ ./test.c -o test
clang-3.9: warning: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this
behavior is deprecated
$ ./test
$ hexdump test.bin
0000000 0031