Re: pg_dump feature request: Exclude tables? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject Re: pg_dump feature request: Exclude tables?
Date
List pgsql-general
> >Hmm, while you're at it, maybe you could make it accept wild
> >cards or regexp or something :-)  That should allow you to toss
> >the -n parameter altogether (schema.*) if you wanted to.
> >
> >It would also be at least as good, IMO, to accept only one -t
> >option, re-defined as a comma-seperated list of names...  And an
> >exlusion parameter defined the same way.
> >
> How would this interact with the shell?  It seems like a supportability
> issue if we have to require single quotes around such arguments.

I think wild cards would be extremely useful, but you're right, it can't be
required for common cases.  Maybe "-t schema." could be shorthand for "-t
schema.*".

As far as the comma-seperated-list notion, I could take it or leave it.  But
it absolutely does not require quoting unless you add superfluous
whitespace.  That's just common, basic shell usage.

Glen Parker
glenebob@nwlink.com