Re: postgresql +AMD64 +big address spaces - does it work? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject Re: postgresql +AMD64 +big address spaces - does it work?
Date
List pgsql-general
> "Andy B" <abhousehuntRE-M--O--V-E@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> > 1. set postgresql.conf->shared_buffers to a value like (40GB/8KB),
>
> That is the very last thing you want to do (even if you could, which you
> can't).  Let the OS manage the memory --- the kernel can do just fine at
> caching large files in RAM.  I've never seen any evidence that it helps
> to set shared_buffers higher than a few tens of thousands.

My experience is the same; keep shared_buffers fairly small.

But I'm curious why we *can't* do 40GB on a 64 bit machine?  I'm testing an
AMD64 + FedoraCore2 + PG7.4 installation right now and I am expecting to
throw lots of memory at it soon...

Glen Parker