odbc eating parser error messages? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From HIDING
Subject odbc eating parser error messages?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi All!

I'm using PostgreSQL on Win XP (cygwin bundled) and the latest postgreSQL
ODBC driver
for windows.

I develop with IBM VA SMalltalk 5.5.2. I'm porting an app from MS SQL -
ODBC. The
app is running for month without any error.

Everything is working just fine - when working - BUT:

ODBC driver is not reporting parser errors or reports in a way which is not
recognized
by VA Smalltalk or the WIndows built-on ODBC manager....

My postgreSQL.conf is at the end of the mail. I'm a beginner with
postgreSQL,
however I would like to use it as it seems great and knowns as much - or
even more - than
Oracle what I also used before. (MS SQL seemed to me like an RDBMS emulator
or something :).

WHAT could be the reason of that my developer tool is not recognizing error
messages?
The problem really is that a not recognized error causes ugly problems
runtime
because cursors (though to be correct) are not free so I got general
protection fault messages
when exiting.

My only chance to know what is the problem is to look at the cygwin terminal
window
and read the logs. Error messages would be much better.

thanks

Robert

#
# PostgreSQL configuration file
# -----------------------------
#
# This file consists of lines of the form:
#
#   name = value
#
# (The '=' is optional.) White space may be used. Comments are introduced
# with '#' anywhere on a line. The complete list of option names and
# allowed values can be found in the PostgreSQL documentation. The
# commented-out settings shown in this file represent the default values.
#
# Any option can also be given as a command line switch to the
# postmaster, e.g. 'postmaster -c log_connections=on'. Some options
# can be changed at run-time with the 'SET' SQL command.
#
# This file is read on postmaster startup and when the postmaster
# receives a SIGHUP. If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect, or use
# "pg_ctl reload".

#========================================================================

#
# Connection Parameters
#
tcpip_socket = true
#ssl = false

max_connections = 32
#superuser_reserved_connections = 2

port = 5432
#hostname_lookup = false
#show_source_port = false

#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777 # octal

#virtual_host = ''

#krb_server_keyfile = ''

#
# Shared Memory Size
#
shared_buffers = 64  # min max_connections*2 or 16, 8KB each
#max_fsm_relations = 1000 # min 10, fsm is free space map, ~40 bytes
#max_fsm_pages = 10000  # min 1000, fsm is free space map, ~6 bytes
#max_locks_per_transaction = 64 # min 10
#wal_buffers = 8  # min 4, typically 8KB each

#
# Non-shared Memory Sizes
#
sort_mem = 1024  # min 64, size in KB
vacuum_mem = 8192  # min 1024, size in KB

#
# Write-ahead log (WAL)
#
#checkpoint_segments = 3 # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
#checkpoint_timeout = 300 # range 30-3600, in seconds
#
commit_delay = 0  # range 0-100000, in microseconds
#commit_siblings = 5  # range 1-1000
#
#fsync = true
#wal_sync_method = fsync # the default varies across platforms:
#    # fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, or open_datasync
#wal_debug = 0   # range 0-16

#
# Optimizer Parameters
#
enable_seqscan = true
enable_indexscan = true
enable_tidscan = true
enable_sort = true
enable_nestloop = true
enable_mergejoin = true
enable_hashjoin = true

#effective_cache_size = 1000 # typically 8KB each
#random_page_cost = 4  # units are one sequential page fetch cost
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01  # (same)
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.001 # (same)
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025 # (same)

#default_statistics_target = 10 # range 1-1000

#
# GEQO Optimizer Parameters
#
#geqo = true
#geqo_selection_bias = 2.0 # range 1.5-2.0
#geqo_threshold = 11
#geqo_pool_size = 0  # default based on tables in statement,
    # range 128-1024
#geqo_effort = 1
#geqo_generations = 0
#geqo_random_seed = -1  # auto-compute seed

#
# Message display
#
server_min_messages = notice # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
    #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
    #   info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal,
    #   panic
client_min_messages = notice # Values, in order of decreasing detail:
    #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
    #   log, info, notice, warning, error
silent_mode = false

log_connections = false
log_pid = false
log_statement = false
log_duration = false
log_timestamp = false

log_min_error_statement = warning  # Values in order of increasing severity:
     #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
     #   info, notice, warning, error, panic(off)

#debug_print_parse = true
#debug_print_rewritten = false
#debug_print_plan = false
#debug_pretty_print = false

#explain_pretty_print = true

# requires USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
#debug_assertions = true

#
# Syslog
#
#syslog = 0   # range 0-2
#syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
#syslog_ident = 'postgres'

#
# Statistics
#
#show_parser_stats = true
#show_planner_stats = false
#show_executor_stats = false
#show_statement_stats = false

# requires BTREE_BUILD_STATS
#show_btree_build_stats = false

#
# Access statistics collection
#
stats_start_collector = true
stats_reset_on_server_start = false
stats_command_string = false
stats_row_level = false
stats_block_level = false

#
# Lock Tracing
#
#trace_notify = false

# requires LOCK_DEBUG
#trace_locks = false
#trace_userlocks = false
#trace_lwlocks = false
#debug_deadlocks = false
#trace_lock_oidmin = 16384
#trace_lock_table = 0

#
# Misc
#
autocommit = false
#dynamic_library_path = '$libdir'
#search_path = '$user,public'
#datestyle = 'iso, us'
#timezone = unknown  # actually, defaults to TZ environment setting
#australian_timezones = false
#client_encoding = sql_ascii # actually, defaults to database encoding
#authentication_timeout = 60 # 1-600, in seconds
#deadlock_timeout = 1000 # in milliseconds
#default_transaction_isolation = 'read committed'
#max_expr_depth = 10000  # min 10
#max_files_per_process = 1000 # min 25
#password_encryption = true
#sql_inheritance = true
#transform_null_equals = false
#statement_timeout = 0  # 0 is disabled, in milliseconds
#db_user_namespace = false

#
# Locale settings
#
# (initialized by initdb -- may be changed)
LC_MESSAGES = 'C'
LC_MONETARY = 'C'
LC_NUMERIC = 'C'
LC_TIME = 'C'