Re: Database Conversion - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Hajek, Nick
Subject Re: Database Conversion
Date
List pgsql-admin

> Hello, All,
>
> I have a new faculty member who has a large database that is
> in MySQL.  We don't support MySQL so the database needs to be
> ported to PostgreSQL.  Her GA, who know MySQL, says that he
> has a query that he will run that will put the data into
> postgres.  I thought that the data would have to be output to
> a text file and then copied into postgres.  I don't know
> MySQL.  I've done a conversion from Oracle and this is how I
> did it.  Is he correct that he can put the data into a
> postgres database by running a MySQL query?  It doesn't sound
> possible to me.
>
> Carol

You could possibly do it in a single operation using MS Access if you
have an ODBC connection to each database.  If however the dataset is
large, I wouldn't recommend it.  I have a number of MySQL and PostgreSQL
dbs and I either dump sql and then import or use PHP scripts when moving
between the two.

Nick