Re: Partitioning / Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Stapleton
Subject Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12 May 2005, at 18:33, Josh Berkus wrote:

> People,
>

>> In general I think your point is valid. Just remember that it
>> probably
>> also matters how you count page views. Because technically images
>> are a
>> separate page (and this thread did discuss serving up images). So if
>> there are 20 graphics on a specific page, that is 20 server hits just
>> for that one page.
>>

> Also, there's bots and screen-scrapers and RSS, web e-mails, and
> web services
> and many other things which create hits but are not "people".  I'm
> currently
> working on clickstream for a site which is nowhere in the top 100,
> and is
> getting 3 million real hits a day ... and we know for a fact that
> at least
> 1/4 of that is bots.

I doubt bots are generally Alexa toolbar enabled.

> Regardless, the strategy you should be employing for a high traffic
> site is
> that if your users hit the database for anything other than direct
> interaction (like filling out a webform) then you're lost.    Use
> memcached,
> squid, lighttpd caching, ASP.NET caching, pools, etc.   Keep the
> load off the
> database except for the stuff that only the database can do.

This is the aproach I would take as well. There is no point storing
stuff in a DB, if your only doing direct lookups on it and it isn't
the sort of data that you care so much about the integrity of.