Re: Moving 'hot' pages from buffer pool to heap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Atri Sharma
Subject Re: Moving 'hot' pages from buffer pool to heap
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Sent from my iPad

On 06-Aug-2013, at 1:14, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> writes:
>> I was experimenting with the idea of moving hot buffer pages from the
>> buffer pool to heap, thus allowing for normal removal of the hot
>> buffer page from the buffer pool and freeing the corresponding buffer
>> pool slot.
>
> Uh ... what?  Why in the world would you want to force a hot page out of
> shared buffers?  I fail to conceive of any scenario where that'd be a
> good idea.

Just experimenting though.I was thinking of scenarios where a page is pinned for long period of time.My concern was
thatit would lead to blocking of a buffer pool slot for that entire duration. The idea is to allocate a separate data
structurefor such hot pages in memory,and maintain them there.

Sorry if it is naive though.

Regards,

Atri