Re: URGENT issue: pg-xlog growing on master! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Niels Kristian Schjødt
Subject Re: URGENT issue: pg-xlog growing on master!
Date
List pgsql-performance

Den 10/06/2013 kl. 17.51 skrev bricklen <bricklen@gmail.com>:

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt <nielskristian@autouncle.com> wrote:
I can't seem to figure out which steps I need to do, to get the standby server wiped and get it started as a streaming replication again from scratch. I tried to follow the steps, from step 6, in here http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication but the process seems to fail when I reach the point where I try to do a psql -c "SELECT pg_stop_backup()". It just says:

If you use pg_basebackup you don't need to manually put the master into backup mode.
Be aware that if you are generating a lot of WAL segments and your filesystem backup is large (and takes a while to ship to the slave), you will need to set "wal_keep_segments" quite high on the master to prevent the segments from disappearing during the setup of the slave -- or at least that's the case when you use "--xlog-method=stream".

Okay thanks,
I did the base backup, and I ran the rsync command and it succeeded. However then I try to do pg_stop_backup() it just "hangs" and I have a feeling, that it's rather because of some information mismatch than actual loading time, since nothing is transferred to the slave and I keep on seeing that "postgres 30930  0.0  0.0  98412  1632 ?        Ss   15:59   0:02 postgres: archiver process   failed on 0000000200000E1B000000A9" in the process overview, and I know that exactly that file was the one it has been trying to sync ever since the connection dropped. I saw something in here http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/safe-to-clear-pg-xlog-archive-status-directory-td5738029.html, about wiping the pg_xlog/archive_status directly in order to "reset" the sync between the servers before running the pg_backup_start(), but I'm unsure if it's right, and when I would do it…