Re: mixed, named notation support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: mixed, named notation support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On Montag, August 03, 2009 23:43:08 +0200 Bernd Helmle
<mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:

> Status Report: I will finish documentation and review tomorrow and will
> mark this patch for committer review.

Here's my latest reviewed version of Pavel's patch with adjusted
documentation per latest discussion.

While poking a little bit with simplify_function() I realized that this
patch changes the behavior of VARIADIC functions a little bit. For example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION my_test(a IN text, txt VARIADIC text[])
RETURNS text
AS
$$
   SELECT $2[1];
$$ LANGUAGE SQL;

The following doesn't work in current 8.4:

SELECT my_test('abcd', ARRAY['test', 'foo']);

You need to use the VARIADIC keyword to match the second argument to
text[]. However, if you are going to use named notation with the patch
applied, the picture changes in HEAD:

SELECT my_test('abcd' AS a, ARRAY['test', 'foo'] AS txt);
 my_test
---------
 test
(1 row)

This applies also when you reverse the argument order. I don't know wether
this is intended, but its conflicting with what we have currently in the
docs. It's also not clear to me wether we want this at all.

--
  Thanks

                    Bernd
Attachment