Re: Alpha Releases: Docs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha Releases: Docs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm willing to help if these are "8.5 release notes in process".  I'm
> not willing to help if they are "alpha release notes that will be
> thrown away afterwards".  Which is it?

That depends largely on what they look like when we get to beta,
I imagine.  Are you asking for a guarantee that no one will edit
your deathless prose?

Traditionally one of the main time sinks involved in making the release
notes has been trying to give them a uniform voice, categorizing them
sensibly, weighting the space given to different topics in a way that
seems to make sense in hindsight, etc.  I'd be rather surprised if notes
prepared piecemeal over a series of alpha releases didn't need work of
that sort when we get to the end.  That doesn't mean the work would be
"thrown away", but it does mean it's likely to get edited.