Re: Postgres "locked up" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric B. Ridge
Subject Re: Postgres "locked up"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 10, 2009, at 6:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> It looks like somehow the SInvalLock got stuck --- that would account
> for both the stack traces you show.

What's a SInvalLock?  I looked at the code/comments for ReceiveSharedInvalidMessages(), but it didn't make much sense
outof context.

> I'm not sure though why a "reload" would appear to free things up.

Yeah, that's the most bizarre part.  Damn near all the backends issued various commands, then froze again.  "reload"
seemedthe quickest way, under pressure, to send all the backends some kind of signal.  I didn't actually expect it to
doanything, tho.

> Have you tried restarting the whole database rather than halfway
> measures like "reload"?

That's what we ended up doing, after turning off stats collection and autovacuum.  I don't know that those are related
ornot, but making some change seemed necessary.  :(  Everything has been fine since.

eric