Re: BUG #6404: postgres account not created during unattended install - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mark Phillips
Subject Re: BUG #6404: postgres account not created during unattended install
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thank you for the reply. I have spent the better part of this week on this =
and related issues.=20

My test procedure is as follows: create VM using Fusion 4.x with a fresh in=
stall of OS X 10.7. The VM is hosted on a Mac also running 10.7. I create a=
 snapshot of this clean image. The first step of each test run is to restor=
e the snapshot image.=20

With this in mind, the comment about the previous installation does not see=
m to apply to my report.=20

After considering your remarks and modifying the app install script, the ap=
p installation completes normally with a functioning PostgreSQL installatio=
n. However, the errors reported previous still appear in the logs.=20

The unattended mode results in the appearance of a user "PostgreSQL" in the=
 User Accounts preferences panel as well as the login window. It is interes=
ting to note that a user named "postgres" in any variant does not appear in=
 /Users/ directory, nor in the file /etc/passwd/, with the exception of the=
 os x standard postgres account.
    $ cat /etc/passwd | grep "Postgre"
    _postgres:*:216:216:PostgreSQL Server:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false

The "one click" installer does not result in the appearance of the "Postgre=
SQL" user account in the os x GUI.

To recap the questions:
1. are the errors reported in the postgres install log of a type to cause a=
 malfunction for end users?
2. how can I suppress the appearance of the user account "PostgreSQL" in th=
e os x login window?

Many thanks,

 - Mark

On Jan 30, 2012, at 11:34 PM, Dharmendra Goyal wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>=20
> Install log shows that your db installation is successful. The error whic=
h you had sent is coming because your earlier installation failed to create=
 'postgres' user and when you ran the installer again, installer read /etc/=
postgres-reg.ini file to check any previous installation and found that pre=
vious installation was done. Hence installer tries to stop the db server in=
 case it is running using postgres user. This command fails as postgres use=
r was not created in your first installation because of some reason. But in=
 latest installation (for which you have sent the log), postgres user has b=
een created successfully and installation went successfully. You need to ch=
eck why postgres user was not created in first go by checking logs of that =
installation.
>=20
> You are checking return status of the installbuilder.sh command run which=
 is not 0 hence you are getting error ("install of DBMS failed".) in your s=
cript. Can yu please check what is the return value in your script of insta=
llbuilder.sh.
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Mark Phillips <mark.phillips@mophilly.co=
m> wrote:
>=20
> On Jan 29, 2012, at 11:07 PM, Dharmendra Goyal wrote:
>=20
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM, <mark.phillips@mophilly.com> wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>=20
>> Bug reference:      6404
>> Logged by:          Mark Phillips
>> Email address:      mark.phillips@mophilly.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.2
>> Operating system:   Mac OS X 10.7
>>=20
>> for a stand alone app that uses postgres, the app installer invokes the
>> shell script installbuilder.sh for the "unattended" install of postgres.
>>=20
>> The pg installer creates a user "PostgreSQL" that is not hidden, but does
>> not create a hidden account "postgres". As a result, the invocation of
>> pg_ctl fails. Error is "unknown login: postgres".
>> pg installer creates "postgres" user which somehow seems to be failing a=
t your machine. Can you please send installation log which can be found und=
er /tmp/install-postgresql.log. Also if you can run installation_path/insta=
ller/server/createuser.sh script manually and check the output, it can be h=
elpful.
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> --=20
>> Dharmendra Goyal
>=20
> Thank you for the reply. I apologize for the delay in responding.
>=20
> File install-postgresql.log attached.
>=20
> Please review the link below to a post in the postgresql forum for a bit =
more detail about this issue:
>=20
>   http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/3042.page
>=20
> I looked into running the createuser.sh script. However, I encountered a =
bit of new information before I could get that far so I include it here in =
case it is relevant.=20
>=20
> Beginning anew with a clean os install, I ran the app installer that invo=
kes the postgresql installer.
>=20
> Here is a snippet of the installer script that relates to installing post=
gres:
>=20
>   # adjust current settings to allow the install to execute properly
>   log "adjust current shared memory settings"
>   log "..refer to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/kernel-r=
esources.html#SYSVIPC"
>   sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=3D1610612736
>   sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=3D393216
>   sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=3D1
>   sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=3D32
>   sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=3D8
>   sysctl -w kern.maxprocperuid=3D512
>   sysctl -w kern.maxproc=3D2048
>=20
>   # install postgres
>=20
>   cd "${BASE}"
>   log "change directory to ${BASE}"
>=20
>   log "=3D=3D=3D install DBMS engine  =3D=3D=3D"
>   postgresql-9.1.2-1-osx.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --mode unat=
tended --superaccount PostgresSQL --superpassword Omnis1
>   if [ $? !=3D 0 ]; then
>       log "install of DBMS failed: ${?}"
>       exit 1
>   fi
>=20
> It appears execution stops there. The following is in the system log:
>=20
> 1/30/12 3:41:26.784 PM markphillips: PRM Installer: =3D=3D=3D install DBM=
S engine  =3D=3D=3D
> 1/30/12 3:41:26.819 PM authexec: executing /Users/markphillips/Downloads/=
PRM Installer/Install PRM.app/Contents/Resources/postgresql-9.1.2-1-osx.app=
/Contents/MacOS/osx-intel
> 1/30/12 3:41:49.097 PM osx-intel: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindow=
Tags: Invalid connection
> 1/30/12 3:41:49.097 PM osx-intel: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGE=
rrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
>=20
> Please note the lack of the terminating message "install of DBMS failed".=
 There are other termination log messages that might have been written if t=
he script progressed further. None were logged so I assume the script was a=
borted while running the postgresql install script.
>=20
> Thank you,
>=20
>  - Mark
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Dharmendra Goyal
> Senior Software Engineer
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> The Enterprise Postgres Company
>=20
> Phone: +91-20-30589493
> Mobile: +91-9552103323
>=20
> Website: http://www.enterprisedb.com
> EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
> Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
>=20
> This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the i=
ndividual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains informat=
ion from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged, confidential, or =
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended re=
cipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, any use, =
dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying of this commu=
nication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,=
 please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this messa=
ge.