Re: How does the planner determine plan_rows ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Donald Dong
Subject Re: How does the planner determine plan_rows ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Jan 10, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> ... estimate_rel_size() in plancat.c is where to look to find out
> about the planner's default estimates when it's lacking hard data.

Thank you! Now I see how the planner uses the rows to estimate the cost and
generates the best_plan.

To me, tracing the function calls is not a simple task. I'm using cscope, and I
use printf when I'm not entirely sure. I was considering to use gbd, but I'm
having issues referencing the source code in gdb.

I'm very interested to learn how the professionals explore the codebase!