Re: How to change column type in PostgreSQL 7.1.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Williams, Travis L, NPONS
Subject Re: How to change column type in PostgreSQL 7.1.2
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't know about the primary key part.. what I do is create a table identical to the one I'm copying (minus index's,
primarykeys, stuff like that) and copy my data over.. verify the data was copied.. then drop the original.. recreate
theoriginal the way you want.. then copy the data back over.. and verify.. then drop the temp table..

Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: Vilson farias [mailto:vilson.farias@digitro.com.br]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 7:54 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] How to change column type in PostgreSQL 7.1.2

Greetings,

  I'm wondering if there is a way to change a column type in PostgreSQL
7.1.2 without reconstruction of table + pg_dump/restore of table data
(machine can't be stopped for a long time). I have a table with a integer
column and I would like to change it to varchar(20). One more thing, this
collumn belongs to a composed primary key. Is it possible?

Best regards

----
José Vilson de Mello de Farias
Software Engineer