Re: perfomance question/issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Williams, Travis L, NPONS
Subject Re: perfomance question/issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On the machine performance.. I see no other problems.. There is almost
always no load on the processor/ram.  I am not a great Unix guy.. but we
migrated from a 450 intel box running solaris 8 for intel to this box
about a month ago.. and so far the box has blown away the other box in
all aspects..  I do have postgres running on the old box.. but I never
did anything beyond the install.. maybe I'll play with it and see how it
runs (just to get some comparison).  It is running 7.1.3 though..

Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: scott.marlowe [mailto:scott.marlowe@ihs.com]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 6:08 PM
To: Williams, Travis L, NPONS
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] perfomance question/issues

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:

> How can you tell what the performance of you DB is?  I know a lot has
to do with DB design..  I don't see postgres using a lot of memory or
cpu on my system.. but everything seems a little slow for what I
consider a small DB..

> What I have is 4 static columns that are indexed and roughly 460 that
are updated.  Now I have only 215 rows.  If I update all of the columns
then run vacuum analyze it takes 7-10 minutes.   I also have had trouble
doing updates... I have tried doing them through perl and psql by doing
a \i then the file name.. I have also tried using begin; and end; around
the file.. but it still takes 1 minute+ to update one row.  any
suggestions are welcome.

> Travis

What OS are ya running?  Just wondering.  It's not Windows and cygwin,
right?

Take a look at the output of your system logs to make sure you aren't
getting massive bus errors or running low on memory or something
strange.

My Postgresql boxes can import about 4 to 10 thousand rows a minute,
with
full PK indexes in place (dual PIII-750 with 512 Meg ram, nothing
amazing.)  Single drive no less.

Sounds like something is definitely wrong with your box or your
postgresql
install.

Are you running 7.2.x?