Re: automatic backup - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Massa, Harald Armin
Subject Re: automatic backup
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello Jefferson,

to answer your question:

a) PostgreSQL 8.0 was End-Of-Lived in 2007. You should start your sales-pitch of updating to something more recent, as in PostgreSQL 8.4 or 9.0

b) to setup an automatic backup on Windows at a client side with no local DBA (or similiar qualified personel), your success will be better when using pg_dump and "planned tasks".

In a nutshell:

create .cmd files with
pg_dump -U <username> --format=C <databasename> > dumpfilename.dmp

schedule those .cmd files to run BEFORE any file based backup of the dumpfilename.dmp files happens

(as an exercise: create a daily different dumpfilename via script, run the same .cmd every day)

best wishes,

Harald