Re: Error on Windows server could not open relation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Error on Windows server could not open relation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM, John T. Dow <john@johntdow.com> wrote:
> I'd had to tell my client to purchase more hardware because the database software I've recommended has a problem. I
havea number of other clients using Postgres and nobody else has had any problem. Switching AV software wouldn't be
suchan issue.

In fairness to pg, the problem here, if it is the antivirus getting in
the way of file reads, is not pgsql's.  It expects to be able to
access it's files in a mode that the antivirus interferes with.  The
anti-virus is broken if it gets in the way of legitmate apps,
especially if turning off the avg doesn't fix it but removing it does
fix pg's problems.

A database expecting its files to be there, unmolested is not some
insane requirement.  It's pretty basic.  Putting a db on a file server
in Windows is a bad move.  I fed and watered NT Back in the 3.51 and
4.0 days, and it was never a good move to put disparate heavy services
like domain controller, file server, dhcp, database or web server on
the same box back then.  It's still not today.

Is it possible for you to run your file server OR pgsql inside a vm
that the anti-virus can't see or affect?  Or is there a spare server,
underutiliized you can clear off to put pg on?