Re: Caution when removing git branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Caution when removing git branches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> The master branch can be removed the same as any other one - just
>> substitute master in place of REL9_0_STABLE in the above commands.
>> But why would you do such a nutty thing?  Worst case scenario looks to
>> me like you type the first of those commands and then go "oh crud".
>> And if any of our 19 committers were unaware of the hazards of
>> inserting random colons into their git commands, hopefully this
>  -----------------------------------------------
>> discussion has awakened them to the error of their ways.
>
> Yes, that was really my goal --- to point out that some git operations
> are not reverable.

That's true, but hopefully at this point it's clear that actually
getting rid of a branch permanently would require rather a LOT of
work, and that even if someone deliberately did their absolute best to
get rid of a branch, an experienced git user could put it back in less
than 15 minutes.

I actually think a more likely scenario would be: we deliberately
remove a branch - and then someone accidentally re-pushes it.  But
since we have no plans to actually do any such thing, that risk also
seems more theoretical than actual.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company