Re: Parallel make problem with git master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Parallel make problem with git master
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> The bit I looked at, at the time, was src/backend/mb/conversion_procs,
> because that was where the biggest hit on parallelization was taken (a
> single lib at a time -- the real time CPU usage chart clearly showed the
> problem.  Not sure if that's still a problem).

I think it is, based on having noticed it spend what seemed like a
disproportionate amount of time on that stuff when building, but I
haven't actually tried to measure it.

>> I'm not sure whether it makes sense to go that far or not.  But I
>> think it'd make sense to at least try this for the backend.  It does
>> seem pretty silly to have a Makefile in every single directory.
>
> We already do that for the backend.  Not exactly a single Makefile, but
> the dependencies are all declared in indirectly in src/backend/Makefile
> with the common.mk tricks.

I'm not sure that's really the same thing.  It'd be interesting to
redo it with just one Makefile and see whether it's faster.

> Where it doesn't work is in the other subdirs, c.f. the current problem
> with interfaces/libpq and interfaces/ecpg.  It would be a lot more
> difficult to fix there, I think, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's a problem.  I wondered if supplying -p to mkdir would
ameliorate the problem to some degree...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company