Re: pgAdmin linking to the wrong pg_dump - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin linking to the wrong pg_dump
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 23/09/2010 12:06, Raymond O'Donnell a écrit :
>> On 23/09/2010 10:52, Cousin Florence wrote:
>>> I do not understand why pgAdmin searches pg_dump in this location. I
>>> still have an "old" pgAdmin 1.10 installed, but it is not in the path
>>> (I checked it) How can I correct it, so that pgAdmin links to the
>>> pg_dump located in "C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\1.12"?
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Go to File -> Options, and on the "General" tab look for "PG bin path" -
>> enter the correct path here.
>>

> And, actually, there are no really good answers to this question. You
> need a pg_dump release that goes along with the server release you will
> use to restore your dump. I mean, if you want to dump a database on a
> 8.3 server and restore it on a 8.4, you need either a 8.3 or a 8.4
> pg_dump (preferably a 8.4 one). Not a 9.0, not a <8.3. If you dump with
> pgAdmin 1.12, you will have (by default) a 9.0 dump which you may have
> problems to restore on the 8.4 server.
>
> Users have to know that pgAdmin's dump and restore facilities use
> pg_dump and pg_restore of the last available PostgreSQL release by default.

Except, that default is only used if there isn't an existing path in
the config, set by a previous release of pgAdmin.

What we really need is to include a grid or something to allow the
user to choose a bin path for each combination of server version and
type - eg. PG 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 9.0, PPAS 8.3, 8.3R2, 8.4, 9.0,
GPDB 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.0.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com