Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> +1
>
> To take the opposite approach... has anyone looked at having the OS just manage all caching for us? Something like
MMAPedshared buffers? Even if we find the issue with large shared buffers, we still can't dedicate serious amounts of
memoryto them because of work_mem issues. Granted, that's something else on the TODO list, but it really seems like
we'rere-inventing the wheels that the OS has already created here...

The problem is that the OS doesn't offer any mechanism that would
allow us to obey the WAL-before-data rule.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company