Re: Row-level Locks & SERIALIZABLE transactions, postgres vs. Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Row-level Locks & SERIALIZABLE transactions, postgres vs. Oracle
Date
Re: Row-level Locks & SERIALIZABLE transactions, postgres vs. Oracle
Re: Row-level Locks & SERIALIZABLE transactions, postgres vs. Oracle
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:
> C1: BEGIN
> C1: SELECT * FROM t WHERE id = 1 FOR UPDATE
> C2: BEGIN
> C2: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
> C2: SELECT * FROM t -- Take snapshot before C1 commits
> C1: COMMIT
> C2: DELETE FROM t WHERE id = 1
> C2: COMMIT

Can you give an actual realistic example -- ie, not doing a select for
update and then never updating the row or with an explanation of what
the programmer is attempting to accomplish with such an unusual
sequence? The rest of the post talks about FKs but I don't see any
here...

--
greg