tuning postgresql writes to disk - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vinubalaji Gopal
Subject tuning postgresql writes to disk
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
  I was wondering if Postgresql can be tuned such that it writes to
disk every n seconds or until the buffer reaches a certain threshold
to tune the performance . This is a special case where the application
wouldn't care if there is a data loss of 1 seconds or less. I would be
interested  to know if there is some configuration parameter which
already does this.  I looked at the WAL parameters and the new async
commit  but not sure if I am looking at the right place. Say i have 10
clients connecting and each client is inserting a record. I want to
force Postgresql only to write to disk when all the 10 records have
been written to the buffer or after 1 second (configurable). My
question is can I partly  achieve this by setting wal_writer_delay =
1000 ms or is there some other parameter which will help me to achieve
the desired effect?

--
Vinu

In a world without fences who needs Gates?