Re: BUG #5444: Database Backup Restore - Out of memory problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #5444: Database Backup Restore - Out of memory problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Chaminda Jayawardana
<wpgchaminda@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference: =A0 =A0 =A05444
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Chaminda Jayawardana
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0wpgchaminda@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3
> Operating system: =A0 Windows Server 2003
em
> Details:
>
> I have postgres sql database backup file around 1.4GB size. when I'm tryi=
ng
> to restore it, it is giving a following error message.
>
> pg_restore: restoring data for table "cms_gib_image"
> pg_restore: restoring data for table "cms_imagess"
> pg_restore: [custom archiver] out of memory
> pg_restore: *** aborted because of error
>
> Process returned exit code 1.
>
> generally we are taking weekly backups of our production server
> databases(All the databases are Postgres sql 8.3) but now we are facing
> problem of restore them.
> Please advise us how to resolve this database restore problem.

That sort of sounds like a corrupted dump file to me.  Are you
restoring it on the same machine you took the dump on, or a different
one?  Maybe you did something like FTP it in ASCII mode?  Just
guessing here, really...

...Robert