Hot Standby - ERROR: canceling statement due to conflict with recovery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Laurent
Subject Hot Standby - ERROR: canceling statement due to conflict with recovery
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a hot-standby instance setup using Postgres 9.0.1 with streaming replication against a 9.0.1 master. On the master, I have the following set in the postgresql.conf:

checkpoint_segments = 3
checkpoint_timeout = 1min
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.5
max_wal_senders = 3
wal_sender_delay = 200ms
wal_keep_segments = 1440

According to pg_controldata, everything is working on the standby:

Database cluster state:               in production
pg_control last modified:             Sun 27 Feb 2011 12:28:07 PM CST
Current wal_level setting:            hot_standby

Unfortunately, most queries against the hot standby fail. Worse yet, pg_dump fails:

pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  canceling statement due to conflict with recovery
DETAIL:  User query might have needed to see row versions that must be removed.

I'm not entirely certain I understand why I'm seeing this. Nor do I understand how to fix or work around this. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean